This page lists new and updated features for the Wavefront service.
- For Wavefront Proxy, your go-to place is the Wavefront proxy github page. On that page, you can see releases in progress and GA versions. If proxy changes are important for the service, we update this doc set, for example, with new configuration parameters, ports, etc.
- For the latest changes and releases of the Wavefront Integrations, see the Integrations Release Notes.
- For Observability for Kubernetes, go to the release notes for Wavefront Collector for Kubernetes GitHub repository.
2021-40.x Release Notes
SYNTAX_ERROR Alert State: Starting with this release, a SYNTAX_ERROR alert state indicates that the alert query resulted in a syntax error. This might happen, for example, if a text string with special characters is missing double quotes, but could be the result of other query errors.
The error state is visible, for example, in the Alerts Browser and the Alerts Browser search bar.
Upcoming Service Accounts Changes: Within the next releases all service accounts that you have created in your Wavefront environment will be moved out of the Everyone group and added to a new Service Accounts group.Important: Any roles and groups with the name
Service Accountswill be marked with the
2021-35.x Release Notes
- Sampling Policies: If you can’t find traces in Wavefront because Intelligent Sampling discarded them, you can now create a sampling policy. Sampling policies let Wavefront know that you want to keep specific traces. See Managing Sampling Policies for details.
Note: Sampling policies impact the volume of data ingested by Wavefront and can affect your costs. See Track the Volume of Trace Data Stored in Wavefront for details on the number of spans you store in Wavefront with the sampling policies.
- OpenTelemetry: Reorganized the distributed tracing documentation to include OpenTelemetry.
Important: OpenTelemetry is still at its early stage. Therefore, if you run into issues when configuring Wavefront with OpenTelemetry, contact Wavefront Technical Support for help.
2021-34.x Release Notes
UI performance improvements: We’ve done extensive revamp of the rendering code for dashboards and charts. Measurements show improvements on all dashboards, some up to 50% faster. Improvements will be especially noticeable in dashboards with many line charts or point plots.
See Ensure Optimal Dashboard Performance for suggestions on how you can improve performance even more.Note: This feature is rolled out to customers incrementally in the next few weeks
2021-33.x Release Notes
- Maintenance Mode Improvements:
- You can specify point tags when filtering alerts that you want to set to maintenance mode.
- You can specify alternate targets to notify during a maintenance mode.
2021-28.x Release Notes
- Anomaly Detection on Charts: With this release, we deprecate the support of AI Genie and replace it with the new Anomaly Detection feature, which is available for Line Plot chats.
Note: This feature is rolled out to customers incrementally in the next few weeks
- Turn anomaly detection on and off.
- Explore all anomalies, which are highlighted in a different manner depending on their size.
- Select a specific anomaly.
- Create alerts by using the
anomalous ()function, but note, that you must do that with caution, because queries with the
anomalous()function are resource intensive.
For example, in the line plot below you can see large and small anomalies. Large anomalies are highlighted with square purple borders and small anomalies are highlighted with cycle purple borders.
- Delete Alert Target Improvements: Previously, alert targets could not be deleted if alert target was in used by an alert. Users can now click Delete Notificant to delete the alert target even if it is in use by alerts. That action removes the target from any alerts.
- Accessibility Improvements: Additional improvements to color selector options on different product pages.
2021-27.x Release Notes
- PromQL Compatibility Improvements: Miscellaneous improvements. For example, the
variance()functions now work as expected.
- New Doc Page: Monitor Tanzu Mission Control with Wavefront
2021-26.x Release Notes
In addition to the already existing keyboard navigation for some of the Wavefront UI pages, now we have support for end-to-end keyboard navigation for the following UI pages:
- Create a dashboard wizard
- Chart page
- Integrations list page
- Kubernetes integration page
- Sources Browser pages
- Maintenance Windows page
- User profile page
- Metrics Browser page
We have also improved drag-and-drop keyboard navigation when you create or edit charts, or when you create or edit a metrics security policy. To use the drag-and-drop navigation:
- To enter drag mode, press spacebar.
- Use the arrow keys to move the item, for example a query line.
- Press spacebar to drop the item in its new position.
You can rearrange:
- Query lines
- Functions within a query line in Query Builder
- List values when you add variables to a dashboard
- Metrics Security Policy rules
Colors in all charts and dashboards, including service and operational dashboards, as well as Amazon Web Services dashboards, now support colorblind accessibility. Random chart colors are theme-specific. We also redesigned the color picker with a new color palette that is different for dark and light UI theme.
Azure AD Integration Improvements: Updated the setup and the setup instructions of the Azure AD Integration. You can now easily set up the Azure AD integration yourself without the need to contact our support team, so that users can authenticate to Wavefront through Azure AD instead of using a password.
Note: We have a corresponding direct ingestion metric for each metric. For example, corresponding to