Wavefront dashboards allow you to organize charts into sections, perform global operations such as setting the dashboard time window and use dashboard variables. Watch this video for an introduction to dashboards:
Create a Dashboard
You can create a dashboard from the All Dashboards page, from a chart, from the Metrics browser, or by cloning an existing dashboard.
- Start dashboard creation:
First... Then... Click Browse > All Dashboards Click the Create Dashboard button on the filter bar. Select a dashboard Click the pencil icon on the right side of the browser window below the task bar, and select New. Or click Clone to create a new dashboard based on the existing dashboard you are currently viewing. Click Browse > Metrics click Create Dashboard in the top left corner of the page to begin creating a dashboard. Creating a dashboard this way automatically creates sections and charts based on the current set of metrics in the Metrics list. Sections are created by first-level nodes, individual charts by second-level nodes and finally all metrics on the third-level or below are rendered on a single chart. Creating a dashboard from the Metrics browser allows you to apply additional parameters such as sources and source tags.
In the Create New Dashboard dialog, enter a URL and name for your dashboard. The URL field supports letters, numbers, underscores, and dashes. The Name field supports letters, numbers, characters, and spaces.
Note If you enter any special character or space, then the URL field turns red and requires you to make changes before saving. You can specify
://and the period are special characters.
- Click Create, edit the dashboard, and click Save.
Note: Many Wavefront customers use existing dashboards as templates, and store dashboard templates as well as dashboards generated from scratch in a a repository such as GitHub.
Here are the main areas of a dashboard:
Set Dashboard Display Preferences
For each dashboard, you can customize display preferences.
To set the dashboard display preferences:
- Click the wrench icon at the top right of the dashboard.
- Set the preferences, which include:
- Click Save.
Organize Dashboards with Sections
Dashboard sections allow you to group saved charts. Every dashboard has at least one section. The section link bar is located directly below the time bar.
Here’s how you can organize your charts with sections:
|Create a section||Click New Section below the time bar.|
|Jump to a section||Clicking the link in the section bar. If the section link bar is not displayed, turn it on in the Dashboard Display Preferences.|
|Resize rows||Clicking the resize icons on the left of each row. Resizing a row resizes every chart in that row.|
Add a Chart to a Dashboard
You can add newly-created charts and existing charts to a dashboard.
- When you create a chart, the chart editor lets you to save the chart to an existing dashboard or select Save to New Dashboard
- You can also add existing charts to a dashboard. You can build your own dashboards by reusing charts from other dashbords. You can do that by cloning a chart and adding it to a new dashboard. We don’t remove the selected chart from its current dashboard, add the clone to the new or existing dashboard:
Click the chart name in the upper-right corner of the chart you want to add.
- Scroll down to the Save To section and click Choose Dashboard.
- Start entering the dashboard name and select the target dashboard from the dropdown list and click Insert. The selected dashboard opens in edit mode and the chart you selected displays at the top of the dashboard in an Incoming Chart section.
- Click and drag the chart to the location of your choice and click Save at the top of the dashboard browser.
Clone a Dashboard
- To clone a dashboard:
- From the All Dashboards page, locate the dashboard, click the three dots, and select Clone.
- From a dashboard, click the pencil icon on the right side below the task bar, and select Clone.
- Specify a new URL. The URL field supports letters, numbers, underscores, and dashes. Do not include
https://1.(Optional) Edit the dashboard name.
- Click Clone.
Edit and Save a Dashboard
In the Dashboards page, system dashboards are indicated with a next to the dashboard name.
When you edit a dashboard, you can make changes to the dashboard description, name, dashboard variables, sections, and charts.
- Put the dashboard into Edito mode:
- From the All Dashboards page, locate the dashboard, click the three dots on the left and and select Edit.
- From a dashboard, click the pencil icon on the right side below the task bar, and select Edit.
Edit the dashboard.
When you edit a dashboard, you may make several changes at a time. To remove a change, click the revert icon to the left of Edit JSON on the task bar. The revert icon removes changes starting with the most recent and works backwards. You can remove only changes made in the current edit mode session.
To save configuration changes, click the Save button in the top right.