VMware Tanzu Mission Control provides a centralized management platform for consistently operating and securing your Kubernetes infrastructure and modern applications across multiple teams and clouds.
This document explains
- How to set up and enable the integration from Tanzu Mission Control to Tanzu Observability by Wavefront.
- How to monitor your Kubernetes environment with our pre-defined dashboards, and how to clone and customize those dashboards.
- How to troubleshoot common problems.
Create the Credential
To get started, you set up the integration from Tanzu Mission Control to Tanzu Observability by Wavefront:
Step 1: In Your Wavefront Cluster, Generate an API Token
|In your Wavefront cluster, Generate a Service Account API Token for Tanzu Mission Control.|
Step 2: In Tanzu Mission Control, Set Up the Integration
|In the Tanzu Mission Control console:
|On the Create Tanzu Observability credential page, specify credential attributes:
|Click the Integrations tab and verify that Tanzu Observability by Wavefront is enabled. If you don't see the integration as enabled after a few minutes, see the Troubleshooting section below.|
Enable Tanzu Observability for a Cluster in Tanzu Mission Control
After you have set up the credential from Tanzu Mission Control, you can start enabling Tanzu Observability for individual clusters that are managed by Tanzu Mission Control.
You can now click the link to Tanzu Observability. You are redirected to a dashboard in the Wavefront instance that shows the metrics for the cluster.
Examine Your Cluster’s Data in Dashboards
Dashboards allow you to drill down into your data, change the time window, examine individual charts, use filters, and much more.
Visualize Kubernetes Data with Wavefront has some specific information. For a general overview of dashboards and charts, see Examine Data with Dashboards and Charts or watch this short video. You can also watch the video here .
The Kubernetes dashboard that you land on from Tanzu Mission Control has several sections with detailed information.
|Scroll down for red flags on the dashboard, or use the Jump To menu to focus on the section you're interested in.|
If you want to customize the charts in the dashboards or add more charts, you can clone the existing dashboard:
For some general recommendations, Kubernetes Troubleshooting. The following causes for failure and remediation steps are especially useful for Tanzu Mission Control troubleshooting.
Integrations Tile Shows Needs Attention
If the integration wasn’t set up successfully, the icon in the Integrations tile shows Needs Attention and the wavefront-extension icon in the Agent and extensions health tile shows Unhealthy.
Failures might be caused by several issues including the following:
- Policy restrictions (access permission for pod)
- Nodes are not available for scheduling
- Not enough memory or CPU is available
- Image cannot be pulled
- Pod crash due to internal access logic error
- General issue on the Tanzu Mission Control side
- Issue with credential, for example, the API token might have been revoked on the Tanzu Observability by Wavefront side.
Follow these steps to remediate problems:
- Ensure that the cluster you want to connect to isn’t protected by an SSO solution. If it is, you might have to explicitly log in to the cluster as a user before you can display the dashboard.
- Ensure that the Wavefront API key is active and correctly entered. If the key was revoked, it’s no longer valid.
Cannot Modify Proxy (Tanzu Observability Installed Through Tanzu Mission Control)
You’re monitoring your Kubernetes cluster with Tanzu Observability. You installed Tanzu Observability from Tanzu Mission Control. Now you’re having problems making a change to the Wavefront proxy.
If you installed Tanzu Observability from Tanzu Mission Control, you cannot make changes to the Wavefront proxy.
If your environment has a standalone Tanzu Observability instance, use that instance. We are working on resolving the issue.
- Watch the videos in the Get Started with Tanzu Observability playlist on VMware TV.
- Explore Your Data in the predefined Kubernetes dashboards.
- Clone any of the predefined dashboards and customize them.
- Learn how to Monitor and Scale Kubernetes with Wavefront.
- Learn more about Kubernetes Troubleshooting.