When events occur it can be helpful to view them in charts so that you can correlate metric anomalies with the events. Such events include the firing of an alert or the start of a maintenance window. There are also user events, such as deployment activities, that occur outside Wavefront, but can affect the values of metrics. To help you understand the effect of the event on your metrics you can choose whether to display an overlay associated with the event on a chart.
Event Overlay Types
If a single event occurs in a given time interval, the event icon displays as a dot on the chart’s X-axis. If two or more events occur in a time interval, the event icon displays as a star on the X-axis. Instantaneous events display a vertical line and non-instantaneous or ongoing events display a shaded region representing the duration of the event.
The color of the overlays are determined by the event severity:
- SEVERE - red
- WARN - orange
- SMOKE - gray
- INFO - blue
Controlling Events Overlays
You have several ways to control when event overlays display in charts:
Select the Display Source Events checkbox in the chart configuration to display events related to alerts fired for sources displaying in the chart.
Add an events() query to the chart. An events() query cannot be the only query on the chart; to display the events at least one ts() query must be enabled on the chart in addition to the events() query.
For all charts in a dashboard:
- Set an events() query in dashboard preferences.
Select an option in the dashboard Show Events dropdown in the middle of the time bar:
The options are:
- From Chart - Display events based on the selection of the Display Source Events checkbox. Default setting.
- From Dashboard Prefs - Display events by the global events() expression set in dashboard preferences and forces the Display Source Events checkbox off.
- From Chart & Dashboard- Display events based on the selection of the Display Source Events checkbox and the global events() expression.
- Related Source Alerts - Forces the Display Source Events checkbox on.
- All - Display all events that have occurred within the time window associated with the chart windows.
- None - Hide all events from every chart in the dashboard.