Amazon EC2 Container Service (ECS) is Amazon’s Docker container orchestration system. From the Amazon ECS website:
Amazon EC2 Container Service (ECS) is a highly scalable, high performance container management service that supports Docker containers and allows you to easily run applications on a managed cluster of Amazon EC2 instances.
Wavefront supports an Amazon Web Services built-in integration that allows Wavefront to collect useful high-level metrics about ECS using the AWS CloudWatch API, but that’s only part of your setup.
This guide provides detailed steps on how to install and configure the Wavefront ECS integration. After you complete these steps, the integration provides:
- Monitoring of important CloudWatch metrics related to Amazon ECS.
- Monitoring of detailed metrics about individual containers, services, and clusters running in your AWS ECS environment.
- Access to Amazon Web Services.
- Access to a Wavefront proxy - Preferably running in AWS or a place accessible to your ECS instances.
- Wavefront AWS integration - Parts of the ECS integration use CloudWatch metrics, which can be acquired by configuring the Wavefront AWS integration.
Configure AWS Integration
Set up the AWS integration. This allows Wavefront to collect useful high-level metrics about ECS using the AWS CloudWatch API.
Create Wavefront cAdvisor Task Definition
Wavefront maintains an image of cAdvisor that includes a Wavefront storage driver. These steps create an ECS task definition that ensures the Wavefront cAdvisor container automatically runs on each EC2 instance in your ECS cluster.
- Within AWS Services, navigate to EC2.
- Click Task Definitions, then Create new Task Definition.
Select the launch type that you want your task to be compatible with and click Next Step.
- Scroll to the bottom of the new Task Definition form and click the Configure via JSON button.
Delete the content and paste the JSON example into the JSON form field:
In the JSON form, set the
<wavefront_proxy_ip_address>:<port>and click Save.
- Click the Create button at the bottom of the Task Definition form.
- Select Actions > Run Task and specify the task information:
- In the Cluster dropdown, select the cluster on which your task has to run.
- Enter the number of tasks (minimum 1) of same definition you want to run.
- (Optional) Enter the Task Group name to identify a set of related tasks.
In the Placement Templates dropdown select One Task Per Host. This ensures that each EC2 instance in your ECS cluster has a Wavefront cAdvisor task.
- Click Run Task.
View ECS Container Metrics
View the AWS ECS dashboard