Linux Host Integration
Monitoring Linux hosts is easy with Wavefront. This integration installs and configures Telegraf to send host metrics into Wavefront. Telegraf is a light-weight server process capable of collecting, processing, aggregating, and sending metrics to a Wavefront proxy.
In addition to setting up the metrics flow, this integration also installs a dashboard. Here’s the CPU section of a dashboard displaying Linux host metrics.
To see a list of the metrics for this integration, select the integration from https://github.com/influxdata/telegraf/tree/master/plugins/inputs.
Linux Host Setup
Note: If you use vRealize Operations, the application proxy agent sets up the integration for you. See the setup instructions. Otherwise, follow the setup steps on this page.
You can choose automatic installation or manual installation and configuration.
Install Wavefront Proxy and Telegraf Agent Automatically
Log in to your Wavefront instance and follow the instructions in the Setup tab to install Telegraf and a Wavefront proxy in your environment. If a proxy is already running in your environment, you can select that proxy and the Telegraf install command connects with that proxy. Sign up for a free trial to check it out!
Install and Configure Wavefront Proxy and Telegraf Agent Manually
You can install the Wavefront proxy and Telegraf agent manually from our package cloud repositories.
- Install the Wavefront proxy packages.
- Go to the Wavefront proxy directory created during the package installation:
- Run the interactive configuration script:
bin/autoconf-wavefront-proxy.sh. The script prompts you for the following properties:
- server - https://YOUR_CLUSTER.wavefront.com/api/
- token - YOUR_API_TOKEN
- hostname - A name (alphanumeric plus periods) unique across your entire account representing the machine that the proxy is running on. The hostname is not used to tag your data; rather, it’s used to tag data internal to the proxy, such as JVM statistics, per-proxy point rates, and so on.
- enable graphite - Indicate whether to enable the Graphite format. See the Graphite integration for details on Graphite configuration.
When the interactive configuration is complete, the Wavefront proxy configuration at
/etc/wavefront/wavefront-proxy/wavefront.confis updated with the input that you provided and the
wavefront-proxyservice is started.
- Verify that the proxy has registered with the Wavefront server.
- Install the Telegraf packages.
- Create a file called
/etc/telegraf/telegraf.dand enter the following:
[[outputs.wavefront]] host = "WAVEFRONT_PROXY_ADDRESS" port = 2878 metric_separator = "." source_override = ["hostname", "agent_host", "node_host"] convert_paths = true
Uninstall the Wavefront Proxy and Telegraf Agent
sudo apt-get remove wavefront-proxy sudo apt-get remove telegraf
sudo yum remove wavefront-proxy sudo yum remove telegraf