VMware vRealize Log Insight Cloud
VMware vRealize Log Insight Cloud (formerly known as VMware Log Intelligence) provides visibility across public and private cloud environments including AWS. vRealize Log Insight Cloud features robust log aggregation and sophisticated analytics that enable you to determine root causes for an issue quickly and thoroughly.
This integration provides steps to create a configuration to extract metrics from logs and post these metrics to Wavefront.
Follow the Setup steps to configure metric extraction from logs in VMware vRealize Log Insight Cloud and push those metrics to Wavefront.
Configure Metric Extraction
- Log in to vRealize Log Insight Cloud as admin user.
- Click the two arrows icon in the upper-left corner of the screen to expand the main menu.
- Click Explore Logs.
- Enter a query and click Search.
- (Optional)Select a time period and use filters. See Searching for Logs.
- On the Stream tab under the chart, locate a log.
- Click the three dots icon for the log and select Create Metric.
- Provide the following information to configure metric extraction:
- Name: Name for the metric extraction configuration.
- Enabled: Select to enable the metric extraction configuration. If disabled, the metrics for the configuration are not sent to the metric store.
- Send To: https://YOUR_CLUSTER.wavefront.com
- API Key: YOUR_API_TOKEN
- Grok Pattern: Named regular expression for parsing logs. When you select a log in the Explore Logs page to configure metric extraction, the system recommends a matching grok pattern. You can keep the recommended grok pattern or, if the recommended pattern doesn’t match your log, you can check Edit Grok Pattern and write your own grok pattern in the text area. After defining the grok pattern, click Parse to see the metrics that can be extracted from your log based on the pattern. The system displays the list of numeric metrics that you can send to the metric store, for example, avgbandwidth, avgiops, and avglatencyinms. You can configure each of these metrics in the Configure Metrics section.
- Value: Select the metric value type from the drop-down menu.
- Configure Source Tag: Select source tag from the list of available source tags.
- Name: Name of the metric.
- Point Tag: Select point tags from the list of available point tags.
- Click Add Metric to add more metrics.
- Click Save to save the configuration.