These release notes give an overview of the changes for Release 2020-30.x of the Wavefront service.
OpenTelemetry Support in Wavefront
OpenTracing and OpenCensus have merged to form OpenTelemetry. You can use OpenTelemetry to send metrics or traces to Wavefront using the Prometheus, Jaeger, or Zipkin integration. See OpenTelemetry for details.
Aggregated RED Metrics
To make RED metric querying faster, Wavefront introduced pre-aggregated RED metrics. Querying and aggregating service-level RED metrics can be slow due to high cardinality from operation tags, source tags, and custom tags.
RED Metrics for Tracing Traffic
Traffic shows how applications and services interact with each other. You can visualize traffic data in charts using tracing traffic derived metrics. See RED Metrics for Tracing Traffic for details.
Live View, External Services and Other UI Improvements
This release includes several UI improvements.
- Use Map View Settings to toggle these features:
- Show/hide external applications or services, such as Amazon services or database services that your application communicates with. Group those external services.
- Show/hide isolated services, which are services that are not used by any other services or applications.
- Show/hide service labels.
- Turn on Live View for the application map below the task bar. The refresh rate for Live View is 5 minutes.
Alert Improvements and convertWhiteSpace Parameter
- Alert notifications to Slack are now more succinct.
convertWhiteSpaceutility parameter to convert characters that cause problems in a JSON file (
\retc.) to white space.
We made the following improvements to the Wavefront service.
- It’s now possible to specify threshold-based coloring for a heatmap chart.
missingfunction now returns 0 or 1.
In Wavefront Proxy 9.0, released recently, the following properties were renamed:
We reorganized our tracing content to improve the on-boarding experience for tracing. The screenshot on the left shows the restructured content. Start with Tracing Basics to start exploring.