Accessing the Users and Permissions Pages
You access the Users and Permissions pages by clicking the gear icon on the task bar and selecting your username. Your user profile displays.
The panel to the left of your profile contains the links Users(<CompanyName>) and Permissions(<CompanyName>).
If you click the links more than one hour since your last successful login you are asked to re-enter your login credentials.
The Users page displays every user in your Wavefront environment. You can click any username to see which permissions are assigned to that user. The Permissions page displays all permissions as well as every user that has that permission assigned to them.
You can add users directly either in the Users or Permissions pages. Do one of the following:
- From the Users page:
- Locate the Invite User(s) by email field.
- Add the email addresses associated with the new user(s). You can enter up to 25 unique email addresses separated by commas or whitespace.
- Click Send Invite.
- From the Permissions page:
- Navigate to a permission to assign to the new user.
- Locate the Add user(s) by email field.
- Add the email address associated with the new user. You can enter up to 25 unique email addresses separated by commas or whitespace.
- Click Add.
The user(s) are added with Browse Data permission and receive an email with a link to activate their account.
You remove a user from the Users page. Locate the email address of the user to remove and click the icon to the left of the name. When you click the icon, a prompt displays requiring you to confirm permanently removing that user from Wavefront. You cannot delete your own account from Wavefront.
Granting and Revoking Permissions
To manage permissions, locate the email address assigned to that account in the Users or Permissions page, and click it. When you do this, you are directed to that user’s profile page.
You will see a list of all permissions broken into two parts: permissions granted to the user and permissions not granted to the user.
You grant permissions by entering email addresses in the text box and clicking the Add button.
You revoke a permission by clicking the icon at the far right of an email address.
Setting Default Permissions for New Users
You can create a set of default permissions that are assigned to every new user added to the system from that point on:
- Select Users or Permissions > Change New User Default Permissions. The permissions dialog displays.
- Check the set of permissions that a new user should receive. If this is your first time to set default permissions, then you’ll see Browse Data selected by default. You must have at least 1 permission selected in order to save the selection(s).
Note: If a user doesn’t have Browse Data permission, the user will be unable to access Wavefront.
- Click Save. The default permissions affects only new user accounts created after the changes were made. If you’d like to retroactively apply a particular permission to all existing users, then visit Support for assistance.
Setting Customer-Wide Preferences
You can specify a couple of default settings for all new users. Click the Customer-Wide Preferences link and choose whether to enable the Query Builder by default, the default dashboard, and whether to display the Getting Started tutorial.