- Log in to Wavefront.
- Select Dashboards > All Dashboards
- In the dashboards browser:
- Use the options on the left to find a dashboard.
- Use the three horizontal dots for dashboard management.
- Add new or existing tags to make finding dashboards easier.
Set the Dashboard Time Window
By default dashboards display charts with a two-hour time window with real-time data flowing in. Charts are updated every 30s. The Live Data control displays the state of the update cycle:
You can configure the default time window as part of the Dashboard Display Preferences.
You can select a larger or smaller time window or view past data instead of realtime data by using the time bar controls.
To change the dashboard time window:
- Click Live Data to see up-to-date data on the charts. When Live Data is selected, you can click a time window interval to quickly increase or decrease the amount of live data displayed within each chart.
- Click Custom Date to look at past data. When Custom Date is selected, you can click an interval to adjust the start time based on the end time. For example, if your end time is 3:00 PM and you choose 12h, the start time is adjusted to 3:00 AM.
Filter with Dashboard Variables
If a dashboard has preconfigured dashboard variables, you can use them to filter the information displayed in all charts. Dashboard variables are below the section bar.
In the example above, you can select all AWS regions (wildcard character) or one of the other three regions. The Region dashboard variable has been predefined in Wavefront. Users with Dashboard permission can add dashboard variables to any dashboard.
Find a Dashboard
Many Wavefront users work in environments with many dashboards.
To find a dashboard, you have two options:
- From the task bar, select Dashboards > All Dashboards and narrow down your search using the fields on the left.
- From within a dashboard, use the Search Dashboards field in the upper right to find other dashboards. The search string matches dashboard name or URL.
Isolate Sources or Series
You can focus on a particular source or series in the dashboard view or the single-chart view. The selected source(s) or series show up at the bottom of the browser window.
To isolate sources and aggregated series you can click a series in a chart:
- Hover over the series you want to isolate. The series you hover over displays as saturated and all other series are dimmed.
- Click the series. An isolation bar appears at the bottom of the browser window.
To isolate multiple series on all charts, hold down the Windows or Command key and repeat.
- If a series is related to a single source, it appears in the Sources: list. When you isolate a source, every series in the dashboard containing that source is isolated.
- If a series represents an aggregation of sources, it appears in the Series: list. When you isolate a series, the query field name displays in the isolation bar and every series in the dashboard with that query field name is isolated.
To remove a single isolation, click the X icon next to the series at the bottom of the browser window.
To remove all isolated sources or series click the X icon next to the list label.
Select the Chart Time Window
You can select the time window for a chart in a few different ways.
|Time Bar||Click the chart time bar in the upper-right corner of a chart. Use the magnifying lenses to quickly increase or decrease the time window.|
|Live Data||If the chart is not displaying live data, click the GO LIVE link that displays to the left of the time bar.|
|Zoom in||Place your cursor at the beginning of the time window you want, and click and drag. Hold the Shift key to zoom in on all charts in a dashboard.
|Shift the time window||Place the cursor over the X-axis. When the cursor changes to a 4-way arrow , hold and drag to the left or right. To shift the time windows of all charts on a dashboard, hold down the Shift key while dragging.|
You can move the time window into the future, however, unless you are using one of the predictive functions, the data you see won’t be predictive.
|Propagate time to all charts||To propagate a chart time window to all other charts on the dashboard, do something inside the chart and then click the sync icon directly under the chart name in the top right corner of the chart box.|
|Reset chart time||To reset an individual chart window to match the time window in all other charts, do something inside the chart and click RESET:|
Here’s a video that illustrates chart time windows:
Display Events on Charts
The Show Events dropdown (with From Chart selected) in the middle of the time bar allows you to overlay events on the X-axis of charts.
See Displaying Event Overlays in Charts for details.
In addition to examining time series data, drilling down on exactly the information you need, creating alerts, etc, you can also