The Wavefront Query Builder is an easy-to-use interface that makes Wavefront accessible to all users in your organization. You can construct queries using Query Builder, Query Editor, or Query Wizard. Both Query Builder and Query Editor support autocomplete.
- Query Builder allows you to construct queries from building blocks. Query Builder supports most elements of the Wavefront Query Language. A few of the more advanced functions are only available in the Query Editor, so you can switch from Query Builder to Query Editor to use those functions. You cannot switch from Query Editor to Query Builder.
- Query Editor expect that you type the query using the elements of the query language.
- Query Wizards allows you to customize predefined recipes, for example, to create a Moving Average for a specified time duration, for your environment.
See Wavefront Query Language Quick Reference for a complete reference.
Toggling Query Builder User Preferences
Query Builder is enabled by default. You can toggle Query Builder settings in your user preferences.
- If Enable Query Builder and Always Open the Query Builder are both checked, then Query Builder always displays when you navigate to a blank chart or new alert.
- If Always Open the Query Builder is not checked, then the Query Editor displays by default. Query Builder displays only if you click the Query Builder toggle.
To switch from Query Builder to Query Editor, click the toggle.
Note: You cannot switch from Query Editor to Query Builder if any part of the query has changed.
You use Query Builder to assemble a query from its building blocks:
- A metric, constant, or other query.
- Zero or more filters (i.e. sources, source tags, and point tags). The metric determines which filters make sense.
- Zero or more functions for manipulating the output.
As you assemble a query, it displays below the query builder. The chart associated with the query updates as you add filters and use functions to manipulate the output.
To use a constant value or the value of another query instead of a metric, you can toggle the metrics field by clicking the metrics selector:
You can preview the result of each evaluation step in real-time:
- For filters, click the bar chart icon at the end of each field (shown below).
- For functions, hover over the function to get documentation and a preview of the changed chart.
Filters and Functions
Query Builder helps you construct your queries like this:
- You can
ORmultiple elements together. Unlike manually constructed
ts()queries, which allow mixed
ORs, the Query Builder applies either
- The order of evaluation is left to right – metrics, then filters, then functions.
- Wildcard matching is supported for metrics, sources, and tags.
- You can remove any element in the chain by clicking the X icon to the right of that element. The rest of your expression remains intact.