See Wavefront Query Language Reference for a complete reference - each function links to a reference page.
You use query builder to construct a query from its building blocks:
- A metric, constant, or other query.
- Zero or more filters (i.e. sources, source tags, and point tags). The metric determines which filters make sense.
- Zero or more functions for manipulating the output.
As you construct a query, it displays below the query builder. The chart associated with the query updates as you add filters and use functions to manipulate the output.
You can preview the result of each step in real time before you make the change:
- For filters, click the bar chart icon at the end of each field (shown below).
- For functions, hover over the function to get documentation and a preview of the changed chart.
Filters and Functions
Query Builder helps you construct your queries like this:
- You can
ORmultiple elements together. Unlike manually constructed
ts()queries, which allow mixed
ORs, the Query Builder applies either
- The order of evaluation is left to right – metrics, then filters, then functions.
- Wildcard matching is supported for metrics, sources, and tags.
- To remove any query element, click the X icon to the right of that element. The rest of your query remains intact.